7.9.11

Big Girls

Spending time in Tofino has allowed lots of time for reflection and thinking about the upcoming school year, and the fact that both E and M will be in full-day Kindergarten/Grade One.   The speed at which their babyhood, toddlerhood and preschool years have flown by is staggering.

I surprised myself on Monday with feelings of anticipation and excitement for the girls, pouring over the school's Parent Manual to make sure they will be all set for their first day rather than pondering the imminent changes in our daily life.  We picked out their clothes for the day and I took M shopping for school supplies for the first time.  I love these little rituals of life that accompany special days.  What fun to watch her pick out just the right three-ring-binder, pens, pencils and other things for the first time.  And how cool that she is big enough to pick out her own supplies, and she is still little enough to casually grab for my hand and hold onto it on for the duration of the shopping trip.

In the afternoon, while the girls were playing with their friend from next door, I was hiding upstairs creating their "Schultueten" or School-gift-bags, which are a tradition that I grew up with in Germany.  They are basically large conical bags full of little treats and school supplies which every kid gets for the first day of Grade One (I'm fudging a little on the traditions here by giving E a bag for Kindergarten, but both girls are starting at this new school so I know she wouldn't grasp why if she didn't get one).  I still remember exactly what my bag looked like when I started school - and it's been a few (ahem) years  - it was gold with red and blue balloons printed on it, and it seemed HUGE to me.  And I was wearing a sunflower dress,  white knee-socks and a goofy hairdo ... thanks mom!

Since the bags aren't commercially available here I had to put on my crafty hat and try to do them justice.  Here is the best I could come up with and the girls' reaction on the first day of school (they didn't mind a staple here and there ...

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug





And I'm glad to report that the first day of school was a resounding success, particularly for E who greeted me with "no, I want to stay longer" when I walked into the classroom to pick her up.

And I had a pretty good day as well.  I enjoyed a cup of coffee while having a chat with F and watching the Pipsqueak toddle around.  So far so good!

1 comment:

  1. what a wonderful tradition! love this! these should be featured in a magazine somewhere- truly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...